The Magic of Hollywood!

The Magic of Hollywood!
They paid to use the driveway last week.
And we got Craft Service access and a FREE lunch!

grip truck

Load In: Grip and Camera Trucks

It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
They were filming next door again.
Hollywood is in my driveway today.

They filmed a “riding lawnmower” commercial with 65 people and staged the Grip and Camera truck, along with the Honeywagon and Craft Service on our street. We met the Location Manager last week and negotiated the use of our driveway for lunch with her.


Lunch for 65 People (with tables, chairs, and shade structures)

Location filming is BIG BUSINESS for the City of Los Angeles and the other cities in the “Studio Zone” aka the “Thirty-Mile Zone”: a 30 mile radius centered at Beverly Blvd and North La Cienega Blvd used by union projects to determine per diem rates and driving distances for crew members and actors. The City of Los Angeles makes a lot of money on Film Permits! There are also requirements for Police, Fire and other City personnel to be employed by productions filming within the city and in public spaces.

NOTE: “Thirty-Mile Zone’ is the namesake of TMZ, the online Hollywood gossip rag.


A FREE Catered Lunch on a Union Commercial Shoot with salmon, chicken & rice, vegetarian lasagna, salad, vegetables, a coke, and 2 sugar cookies for dessert

Shoutout to the hardworking CREW! Shoutout to the Caterers and Craft Service People who keep the Crew fed and hydrated on set (sometimes for 14 hours or more!).
And they also feed the neighbors too when required.

On the Menu: A FREE catered lunch with salmon, chicken & rice, vegetarian lasagna, salad, vegetables, a coke, and 2 sugar cookies for dessert. And a few BONUS trips to the Craft Service table during the day, because they had a pretty good spread.

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 14.10.20

Striking the Caterer’s Table, Chairs and Shade Structure

The Magic of Hollywood! An hour later and they made it all disappear.
This was a UNION JOB and the Crew was totally professional!
If you need a great Craft Service person, Location Scout/Manager or Caterer DM me.

Read all about Locations on the California Film Commission (CFC) website
(also information on permits, contracts, fees, tax credits and more):

Use the links below to FOLLOW and LIKE us on other social media!

LIKE & FRIEND us on Facebook>
FOLLOW us on Periscope>
FOLLOW us on Twitter>

Have you seen my IMDB?

The “JoshWillTravel AdventureScope” is now available on Youtube!

joshwilltravel promo


“It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World”



Q: Are there any location scouts here?

Q: Are there any location scouts here? (a short conversation from facebook)

JoshWillTravel: Why do you ask?

Q: I’m curious as to how all of that works. Let’s say I’d like to do a shoot with a model or shoot a low-budget commercial in a corporate skyscraper, how would I go about getting permission to check out the place to see if it fits my requirements?

A: Contact the Building or Property Manager/Management Co. and ask them if they’ll let you use it as a location. You may not need a permit if it’s private property and you don’t need city access or services. Some buildings and most hotels have a person who coordinates all their “Hollywood” filming requests. You may be able to negotiate a location based on the exposure they can get from your project.

Start Here: FilmLA (EIDC)

“FilmL.A. is a private 501(c)4 not-for-profit organization established for the public benefit. They coordinate and process permits for on-location motion picture, television and commercial production under contract to an ever-increasing roster of public-sector clients in the Los Angeles region.  All permits are issued by the authority of and in accordance with the policies of each client jurisdiction.”